Lawang Sewu: Most Haunted Place of Indonesia, Reputed as Home to Unhappy Dead Ghosts!
Antique and abandoned buildings surely have a creepy vibe around them. When it comes to an ancient building, many of us imagine Victorian portraits and dust swirling around the place. Many of these places have a tendency to inspire many stories, especially myths and legends and the haunted tales of its origin. One such building is the Lawang Sewu.
In the Javanese language, Lawang Sewu is translated and means “a thousand doors”. While the building does not really have a thousand doors. The three-storeyed massive structure had been lined with numerous windows and doors, resembling doors, which gave the building its name. This is not simply a structure that has been deserted for several years, rather it represents an icon of history and heroism.
The Lawang Sewu, located in Semarang is a haunted building located in Indonesia. It was used as a military headquarters during World War II. The large and mysterious building is simply not a deserted structure but rather a place where many soldiers lost their lives.
This building became a scene for the bloody Battle of Semarang, where many soldiers were tortured and killed. Since then, this place has served as a house for many vengeful spirits.
The construction of the main building began on February 27, 1904. It was completed in July 1907, while the additional buildings were built in 1916 and were completed in 1918.
The structure consists of two colonial buildings that once represented the headquarters of the Indonesian railways during the Dutch era. The structures were sparsely used and occasionally exhibits most of the railway system on view. However, the empty corridors where the clerks and engineers worked have their own interest with modern features including stained glasses and a marble staircase.
Wondering the illuminating buildings at night, there is a sense of history and a chill rising from the front door to the unlit basement. During the Second World War, from 1942-1945, the Japanese occupied the building and used the dungeons for interrogation. In 1945, the building served as the DKARI (Djawat Kereta Api of the Republic of Indonesia) and the very next year in 1946, it served as the headquarters of the Dutch army.
Popularly known as the building of a thousand doors, on the account of many sections and windows shaped as doors, this building is a place of anguish and grief. Though it was built for the Dutch East India Company, it was soon invaded by the Japanese, who turned the basement of the building block two, into prison for executing prisoners.
Lawang sewu Ghost:
The Japanese people would torture and hang people from the iron beams